Library Director – Roxbury Public Library
LIBRARY DIRECTOR OF THE FREE PUBLIC LIBRARY OF THE TOWNSHIP OF ROXBURY, NEW JERSEY
LIBRARY VOTED #1 IN MORRIS COUNTY!
The Library Director is the administrator of the library. He/she plans, organizes and manages the operation of the library according to the policies, rules and authority delegated by the Board of Trustees. He/she assesses strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and challenges to the organization and develops strategies for dealing with them effectively without compromising vision and values. The Library Director supervises all library personnel, and supervises the maintenance of the library facility.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
• Creates a culture that stimulates positive change and a climate for excellence.
• Reviews, formulates and recommends library policies, procedures and practices. Implements policies upon Library Board approval.
• Interprets policies to the library staff and the general public.
• Assists the Library Board in developing a long-range plan that actively supports the organization’s mission and strategic direction. Executes the approved plan.
• Prepares annual operating and capital budgets for Library Board approval that reflect the library’s mission. Effectively manages and controls the approved budget.
• Prepares for and attends Library Board meetings.
• Recruits, hires, trains, supervises and evaluates professional and support library staff and maintains personnel records for all staff.
• Plans and conducts regularly scheduled staff meetings.
• Creates an environment that welcomes diversity, and promotes literacy, intellectual freedom and equal access to information.
• Studies the community and directs the development of a balanced program of library services designed to meet the needs of all the people in the community.
• Establishes and maintains effective work relationships with the Board of Trustees, Township Officials and Township departmental personnel, Friends of the Library, community organizations, school groups, library associates and the general public.
ADDITIONAL EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
• Prepares narrative and statistical reports.
• Supervises the utilization and maintenance of technology to deliver, monitor and enhance library service.
• Responds to emergencies and takes appropriate action
• Investigates additional sources of funding, such as grant applications.
• Establishes strategies and funding for in-service training and continuing education for employees ensuring compliance with continuing education requirements.
• Monitors legislation related to libraries and keeps Library Board and appropriate Township Officials and library staff informed.
• Maintains affiliations with local, state and national professional organizations and represents the library at professional meetings, conferences and seminars.
• Communicates the value of the public library and information services verbally and in writing to the general public and to decision-makers.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
• Thorough knowledge of the theories, principles and techniques of librarianship.
• Thorough knowledge of library administration and management techniques, including New Jersey Library Laws.
• Thorough knowledge of the functions and responsibilities of a governing Library Board of Trustees.
• Ability to analyze, comprehend and apply current approved public library standards, methods and techniques. The same ability would apply to library budget systems, performance appraisal, job classification and compensation.
• Ability to think analytically and to develop new or revised systems, procedures, and work flow.
• Ability to oversee and direct a basic collection development plan.
• Ability to communicate effectively and share knowledge with others.
• Ability to prepare and present accurate and informative statistical and technical reports. (Requires knowledge of MS Office and keyboarding skills.)
• Ability to develop and manage convenient, accessible and cost-effective facilities and services that promote and support the organization’s mission and strategic direction.
• Ability to relate to employees, associates, and the public and to handle issues in a positive, professional, and expeditious manner.
• MLS degree from an American Library Association (ALA)-accredited school
• New jersey State Professional Librarian Certificate (must be obtained within six months of hire)
• A minimum of five years of experience as a librarian including two years in a supervisory capacity.
• Demonstrated continued education in the areas of library services and technology.
• Active participation in professional library associations and community organizations.
For consideration, please email cover letter, resume and three professional references to:
Angela Dzikowski, Pro Libra Associates 800-262-0070
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.