Notary services are performed FREE OF CHARGE and are available until 45 minutes before closing.
Library Notaries witness a patron signing a document or signing a sworn statement on a document. The Library Notary documents that:
- The signer of the document appeared before the Notary.
- The Notary positively identified the signer; and
- The signer both acknowledged the signature as hers or his, and that the signature was made willingly.
The following guidelines will be followed in the provision of Notary Service:
- The person who will sign the document must be sure that the document is completely filled out, leaving no blanks other than where the customer will sign the document, before appearing before the Library Notary. Library Notaries may not notarize any document with blank spaces.
- Notary service is on a first come first serve basis.
- Government issue photo identification is required of any patron seeking Notary service.
- Documents in any language other than English will not be notarized.
- New Jersey law requires that a Notary and the patron seeking notarization be able to communicate directly with each other. Library Notaries are not permitted to make use of a translator to communicate with a Notary service customer.
- In accordance with New Jersey Notarial Law, Notaries will not provide service if the patron, document or circumstances of the request for Notary service raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt or uncertainty for the Library. In this event, the Library Notary may, at his/her sole discretion, decline to provide Notary service.
- The Library Notary does not provide Notary service for Wills, birth certificates, marriage licenses, I-9 forms or Powers of Attorney.